Last month I met with roughly a dozen businesses from the Cobble Hill village. 40 invites were sent out and I hope to have ongoing meetings with the business community.
I started with the village core for a few reasons (I will be reaching out to other Cobble Hill Businesses in the new year)
1. Their close proximity to each other would share a lot of common goals and problems.
2. The village employs roughly 200 people.
3. The Official community plan states that there is a desire to have development/densification happen in the village.
The meeting was great. You can see the newsletter I handed out today, recapping the issues we spoke about. I also went back today to hand out surveys to those who were unable to attend. Questions I asked were:
- what’s something you need right now that one of your fellow business owners might be able to help you with?
- What would you like to see in the village?
- what DON’T you want to see in the village?
4. on a scale of 1-10, how do you feel your business is doing overall? ________
5.how many people do you employ? _______________
6.how has your past experiences with the CVRD been? What did you like? What was bad?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the village?
AS YOU CAN IMAGINE the questions I will ask of other businesses in Cobble Hill won’t be so “village core” centered but the intent is still the same… to reach out to the business community and see if there are ideas, questions or concerns that they may have. As a small business owner myself (farming & a video business) I understand the challenges that entrepreneurs face as well as established businesses but that doesn’t mean I know it all. I want to ask questions and learn about our business community.
If you have any ideas or concerns, please feel free to contact me.