Cobble Hill Business Improvement Area – November 2015
Newsletter Follow Up
Hello Cobble Hill Village businesses!
We just had our first meeting November 5th at the Cobble Hill Youth hall and I would like to thank all of those who attended. I learned A LOT in those two hours.
The purpose of this newsletter is to update those who were unable to attend and recap the discussion that happened.
Roughly a dozen businesses attended with a majority being “industrial” businesses. This means there was a focus on industrial issues and concerns.
- Cobble Hill Village Revitalization – I explained the concept behind the revitalization plan as well as the reasoning for consulting the business community first. For example, Some of these upgrades could have large impact on the industrial truck traffic IE – roundabouts.
- Drainage & ditches – Both Cobble Hill road and fisher road have experienced drainage issues in the past. I hope I was successful in explaining to the group that drainage issues (like so many other issues for the village) are going to have to be tackled as a WHOLE rather than fixing one ditch at a time. If not, then we are just sending the water down the way to be someone elses problem. Overall, there was great frustration with the ministry of transportation.
Thankfully, our GM of Engineering has years of experience in roadways and drainage. I will be meeting with him in the village to seek his advice on the challenges and the best course of action.
- Water – The Cobble Hill improvement district provides water to the village area. They are approaching the limits of their allowed capacity but are working on a study to expand capacity. I am trying to connect the improvement district with the CVRD for resources and funding.
- Development process & CVRD – For those who have expanded their buildings or added new ones, there was a common theme that they felt the process was cumbersome, difficult and challenging. The number of studies required, the length of time, and the Area Planning Commission process, were all factors in what one person described as “trying to move forward with a windsail in a windstorm”.
I was clear that I would like to help the process be easier and faster. At the same time, I expressed that this did not mean a blank cheque for the sake of development.
I am researching “best practices” that could be used at the CVRD as well as speaking with other directors about how their APC’s operate to try and learn more.
SO WHAT’S NEXT???
As stated above, I have some work to do:
- Look at a village drainage plan/strategy
- Help the Cobble Hill Improvement District however I can
- Research and implement best practice for development permits
The holiday season is coming upon us and with it all the personal and business commitments that come with it. So I am looking to have another meeting in mid-January.
It is my hope that more of the retail businesses can attend at that time to lend some of their thoughts to the conversation.
If you were some of those unable to attend, I have attached a survey for you to fill out and mail back to me when you have some time. It would help me tremendously to have these completed surveys for future reference.
Once again, if you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.
Cobble Hill Director