A new merchants group has formed in Cobble Hill, CHUMS (Cobble Hill United Merchants Society).
They are holding their first social mixer at the Cobblestone pub SEPTEMBER 27th from 7-9pm. It is open to CHUMS members and all local business people interested in networking and learning more about CHUMS are welcome: home-based, retail, commercial, industrial, non-profit.
Anita Willis, one of the owners of two hoots gallery, has been spearheading the group.
With the collapse of the South Cowichan Chamber of commerce, CHUMS is seeking to fill some of the void left by The Chamber’s departure. CHUMS is not looking to become “the next chamber” but rather a way for upcoming and existing business owners to connect, find information and work together to better the business community in Cobble Hill and South Cowichan.
Here is a write up from the upcoming website:
Cobble Hill United Merchants Society
What is CHUMS?
Early in 2017, a group of Cobble Hill business owners began meeting to see how they might work together to support each other and the community we serve. In July 2017, the group registered the Cobble Hill United Merchants Society (CHUMS) as an official B.C. society.
What is the mandate of CHUMS?
The society’s two stated purposes are:
- To build connections among Cobble Hill business owners, residents, and like-minded local and regional organizations to broaden local and regional awareness of Cobble Hill as a vibrant and welcoming community in which to live, work, and play.
- To foster initiatives and events to enhance the beauty, heritage, livability, and social connectivity of Cobble Hill.
Who is on the board of CHUMS?
The following business owners have volunteered to serve on the first CHUMS board:
President: Phil Newns, Minstrels Music School
Vice-President: Nick Yaremchuk, Island Computers
Treasurer: Kim Newns, Paint Nite
Secretary: Anita Willis, Two Hoots Gift Gallery
Director-at-Large: Dave Kral, Cobblestone Pub
Director-at-Large: Candice Johnsson, Union 22 Antique and Vintage
Director-at-Large: Susan Dumas-Ryan, The Second Hanger
Who can join?
Membership in CHUMS is open to businesses, organizations, and individuals both within and outside of the boundaries of Cobble Hill Regional District. Anyone who supports the society’s stated purposes, above, is welcome, including business people and organizations from neighbouring South Cowichan communities who see a benefit in networking with the business people of Cobble Hill.
What are the benefits of a $10 annual membership in CHUMS?
* Network with local business owners at fun “Meet and Greet” evenings.
* Join CHUMS group marketing initiatives to get more for your ad dollars.
* Participate in CHUMS community-building events and initiatives.
* Get listed in CHUMS’ growing member directory and a future CHUMS website.
* Advocate for village improvements (like a “Visit Cobble Hill Village” sign on the highway, pedestrian safety issues in the business core, etc.) as a collective group of business owners.
* Stay “in-the-loop” with newsy updates about changes, improvements, etc. in the Cobble Hill business community.
* Get CHUMS member discounts at participating local businesses.