1) Grants in Aid: Why has this been increased from $6,500 to $80,000 over the last 2 year period?
Many residents of cobble hill do not know of the grants in aid function. As the cobble hill event society pressed on last year and it became public knowledge that there was funding for community groups, there appeared to be an interest by the community to start initiatives that would benefit the community. So I increased it. If at the end of the year, there is money in the bank, it will be rolled over and the requisition will be lowered accordingly.
2) Federal Gas Tax Rebate: Why was $50,000 funded for a covered pavilion on private property at Evergreen Private School?
Evergreen is also a society. Their grounds are open to the community after hours, on weekends and the summer. The CVRD has an existing arrangment with them that will be extended through this funding. The pavillion will cost 150,000.
3) Why was $70,000 spent to duplicate previous village designs completed in 2012, 2013 and 2014?
The design charrette gave a visual plan to some of the village’s development. The other plans you refer to were 20 years old or for very specific projects. The OCP does not give visual guidelines.
4) Cobble Hill Events Society (CHES)
(a) This was created by Director Clement in 2016 — Why is it being funded by Grants In Aid monies?
It was not created by me. It was facilitated by me with a group of cobble hill citizens who wanted to have more opportunities to engage with the community.
(b) Why has the CHES Grants in Aid been increased from $15,750 in 2016 to $20,000 in 2017?
CHES borrowed a sound system in its first year that was not available to them this year. that increase was to buy a sound system. That sound system will be able to be borrowed by other community groups in the future. CHES is working on a policy for this.
5) Is it true that Director Clement and his alternate, Carolyn Morris do not reside in Cobble or even pay taxes in this area?
Neither of us live in cobble hill.
6) Why was it necessary for Director Clement to spend $1000 on a full page colour advertisement in a local newspaper?
Because people needed to know about the event. There was also advertising on Facebook and Youtube.